Monday, January 31, 2011

Any Ten

   I can't call myself a gamer, since I don't play a lot or own many games, but I have to say that I love Final Fantasy. I only have experience playing four titles, but in all of them the graphics for their generation is top-of-the-line, drop-dead amazing. This one, for example, is a cut from a movie scene from one of the pre-21st century Final Fantasies, I think.

  Final Fantasy XIII. This I believe is one of the most realistic titles. All the graphics look like this, and seeing them makes me wish I had a PS3. Plus I know what great story lines they always have. 

   One none-video image: a painting by Albert Bierdstat. At least I think it's a painting. The lighting, the mood, the perspective, the realism and attention to detail-- every thing is perfect. I would like to learn to create this type of photorealism in Photoshop, just to add a skill to my belt; especially since I may never learn to paint like this on canvas.

 Here is a scene from one of the titles I own; I should have found an animated one. The opening movie cut-scenes are beautifully rendered, particularly for the PS original. Watching games like these has made me consider the possibility of going into video game design, but I doubt I will. Anyway, it would be nice to learn how to create such a flawless series of animation frames with realistic, yet romantic, lighting.  

  I love this game; it's the first Final Fantasy I ever played, and I finished this one. The graphics are breathtaking; I know that FFX was a 1999-2003 project-- right at the turn of the century in cutting-edge computer graphics. In this image, which is also the cover for the box in the U.S., one can see the complexity and luminosity of the landscape. Learning how to layer all that information without subtracting from certain aspects of it, like the part of the character submerged in water, is goal of mine in this class.

 Back to Final Fantasy 7. All the great qualities I spoke of in black-and-white! It gives it the quality of an old film and adds the element of the dramatic. Coupled with the music this scene is kick-ass. Too bad I only have this still image.


  FFX again. The focus in this one for me is the graphic symbol on the title. It transfixes me; somehow the Final Fantasy team comes up with a unique, amazing graphic design logo for each title! I hope to learn to produce phantasmic images like this one. I love the character standing to the left of it too.

  I'm too long-winded for my own good, so in honor of brevity: retro. I think it's important to know how to create the retro backdrops and graphics before learning to do anything else.

  Lord of the Rings? Damn. That's not all I can say to those special effects- gory, realistic, and enchanting. This isn't a special effects class, but I see it as the first step to learning how to design and create realistic CG and CGI effects.


  Last but not least, Shrek. Who didn't love Shrek as a child? (rhetorical question,  don't answer). I actually plan to major in 2D animation, but I have to give 3D animation its props. I'm probably going to end up learning a little about it anyway. Shrek kicks butt, with CG that is an example of realistic 3D animation; we know it's fake, but it doesn't look fake.

No comments:

Post a Comment